Let’s face it, we all spend a ton of time indoors. Whether it’s to binge that new show on Netflix or escape the hot, humid summer air, people tend to spend their free days in the comfort of their own homes. So, clean, cool air should be a priority, right? Right! Well, clean air is dependent on maintaining clean air filters, so we created a list of signs that indicate when it’s time for a filter change!
Dirty Air Filter Symptoms
1. Allergy symptoms showing up regardless of the season. If you or a family member is experiencing an increase in allergy symptoms, a dirty air filter may very well be at fault. Dirty air filters aggravate allergies because particles that instigate allergy symptoms are not successfully filtered out of your air system. This compromises air quality and should be addressed immediately.
2. A constant layer of dust, no matter how often you clean. Nobody likes chores. So, when you find yourself in an endless cycle of dusting, it is probably time to check your air filters. When air filters are obstructed, they begin releasing contaminants, i.e., dirt, into the system, which eventually makes its way out of your vents, and into your home.
3. A strange smell coming from your air ducts. If you find yourself playing 20 questions as you try and locate that strange smell in your home, it might mean it’s time to replace your air filter. Insufficient air circulation, or weak airflow, can cause unsavory smells to stick around, such as must and lingering cooking odors.
4. The Air conditioner or heater taking extra time to cool or heat your home. No one wants to get stuck in the summer without functioning air conditioning, and when air filters are dirty your air conditioner cannot properly complete its cooling cycle. If you are experiencing slow cooling processes, it’s time for a check-up!
5. A noticeable increase in utility bills. Are your utility bills higher than normal? First, you should think about your usage–has it gone up? If the answer is no, then there might be a clog in your air filters. Clogged air filters will cause your air conditioning system to work overtime to try and maintain a cooler temperature, using more energy to complete its normal job.
To maintain the BEST air quality and to practice the BEST air filtration maintenance contact BEST Air Conditioning Plumbing Repair professionals.